Snoring Reductions in Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Charlbury Dental Practice
The Spendlove Centre, Enstone Road, Charlbury, Oxfordshire OX7 3PQ

other treatments » snoring reductions

The noise of snoring is caused by the vibration of the soft tissues in the upper airway. During sleep the muscles of the upper airway relax, having the effect of reducing or even completely obstructing the airways. The body reacts by increasing the force with which air is breathed in and expelled. This causes vibration of the relaxed soft tissues and generates the noise of snoring.

Who is likely to snore?

Research has shown that approximately 40% of the adult population snore. Snoring is more likely if a person is overweight or drinks alcohol and as we get older the chances of snoring increase - 60% of men over 60 snore.

What is Obstructive Sleep Apnoea?

Obstructive sleep apnoea occurs when the obstruction of the upper airway lasts for a period of several seconds, or even up to a minute, and no in-breath is taken. When breathing starts again, it will be heard by others as a sudden loud gasp for air. The sufferer will remain asleep and will not be aware of this. Sleep apnoea is a medical condition, since the oxygen deprivation during sleep has physiological effects on the body with many consequences, as well as causing daytime drowsiness from disturbed sleep.

Where sleep apnoea is suspected an anti-snoring device may still be prescribed but it is important that a medical diagnosis is made. For this you may be advised by your doctor to attend a sleep clinic; the clinic may suggest other treatments for the sleep apnoea.

Not everyone who snores suffers from sleep apnoea but those who suffer from sleep apnoea will almost always snore.

How can my dentist help with snoring and sleep apnoea?

Your dentist can make you an oral appliance which is worn at night to help to prevent snoring.
The most effective appliance is made in two sections which fit over the upper and lower teeth. They are held firmly in place and are joined together by a connector which holds the lower jaw in a forward position. By holding the jaw forward, the space at the back of the throat is opened up, increasing airflow and preventing the relaxed throat tissues from vibrating against each other.

Can anyone be fitted with an appliance to prevent snoring?

No. The appliance needs enough natural teeth in each jaw to hold the appliance securely. Your dentist will be able to advise you as to your own situation.

What happens next?

To assess the severity of your snoring and the possibility of sleep apnoea, your dentist will ask you to complete a questionnaire. It can be helpful to involve your partner in completing this.

Anti-snoring appliances are custom-made. So, if it is decided to go ahead with one, we will take impressions of your upper and lower jaws and send these to our laboratory. It usually takes about 2 weeks for an appliance to be made. At a second appointment your dentist will check the fit of the appliance and give full instructions on how it should be used and adjusted.

Do anti-snoring devices always work?

It is not possible to guarantee that an appliance will work for everyone. However statistics demonstrate that for 62% of people who snore it will eliminate the noise of snoring; for another 25% the noise of snoring will be significantly reduced but not eliminated; in a few cases the device does not help at all.

Which appliances do you provide?

Our appliances are made by S4S Dental. Further information about their Solutions for Snoring can be found at www.solutions4snoring.com.

How long will my appliance last?

You can expect your appliance to last about 3 years before it needs replacing.

« Back to Other Treatments